Wife to Kate. Mama to Yogi. Reader. Psychologist. Unitarian-Universalist. Foodie. Hot Yogi. Write-at-Home Mom.

New Horizons


For the last six years I have been a fairly consistent runner and occasional yogi.  On the running front that has meant hitting the road three to four times a week and running an average of three miles at a go.  In that time I have run only two races, the first was a 5K and the second was a half-marathon.  One thing that I've learned from running in races is that I'm not all that big on running in races.  It's not a terrible experience, but it's not really my thing.  However, one great fringe benefit of running a race is that (at least if you're me), you have to train for it.  I'm not sure I ever would have ventured much beyond six or seven miles if I hadn't trained for a half-marathon.  My favorite runs are the long, leisurely ones where I'm not making an effort to push the pace, but only enjoying the time outside.

Over the years, the yoga has been much more inconsistent.  I'm a big fan of Brian Kest and use his DVD series when I yoga at home.  But, it is not an understatement to say that I have fallen in love with hot yoga.  Hard.  Unfortunately, it is impossible to heat my house to 102 degrees in order to stretch myself into odd positions on any kind of regular basis, so I have to go to a studio.  Going to a studio requires time, money and advanced planning.  All of those things are not routinely easy to come by.

Now here I am with a baby and just as everyone says, a baby changes everything, including your exercise routine.   I had gotten pretty serious about yoga in the months before Bean was born, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've made it to yoga since he was born.  Running?  I had already gotten pretty far out of running shape during the summer with all the yoga, so running is an even less compelling idea.  Where does all of this leave me?

Mommy and me Yoga!  That's where! Yogi and I are going on Saturday.  We'll let you know how it goes.

¡Compártelo!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Music City Mama Copyright © 2011 | Tema diseñado por: compartidisimo | Con la tecnología de: Blogger